Thursday, January 14, 2010

Santa Catarina Pinula

I am now in Santa Catarina Pinula (Pinula for short), the small city I am staying in for the remainder of my time here. It is outside Guatemala City, up into the surrounding mountains. You have to go up very steep and winding hills to get to Pinula. Driving is pretty crazy here too, so it is kind of scary getting up there. But looking down from Pinula you can see over Guatemala City and see two huge volcanoes in the background. It is an incredible sight.

While in Pinula I will be living with the youth pastor of the local church and his wife. Their names are William and Caren. They have two sons, ages 5 and 1. They are both very cute. The church is called Nueva Jeruselen, where Caren’s father is the pastor. The family is very big and very friendly. Even though I know little Spanish, I still feel comfortable because the people are so friendly.

The church is right beside the local school, Kairos. Caren is the principal of the school. I will be working at the school during my stay here. The kids are still on summer break and school starts next week. The school is pretty small and not in the best shape, but the teachers are all very nice and a lot of fun. The Pastors family is very big and many of the teachers are the Pastors daughters. There is an English teacher who obviously speaks English and there is another American, Anna, living with the Pastors family. There are also a couple of other people who know a bit a English, so that is nice.

I am learning more Spanish each day, but not as fast as I would like. So next week I am heading to Antigua where I will study Spanish for at least couple of weeks. They told me that there once was an intern here that didn’t speak any Spanish and he went and studied in Antigua and came back speaking very well. I already know quite a bit of Spanish, so I think this will help me a lot. I will let you know J

No comments:

Post a Comment