Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mi Segunda Día

So I woke up early (I slept for 12 hours though) and I showered. Then we had breakfast. I had an egg, black beans, and tortillas. The beans were like refried beans, but made from black beans. They tasted way better too. The tortillas were just like small corn tortillas. Then they had this cream stuff that you mix in with the beans. It is pretty bland but it adds nicely with the beans. The coffee here is much milder than in the States. Most Americans I have talked too don’t like it, but I like it better.

Then we left for church. We had Sunday school, which was taught by Fabián (Liz’s Husband). Then there was the main service. Altogether it was about 3 hours, maybe a little longer. It was really hard because everyone speaks Spanish and I do not know very much. I actually know much less than I thought I did. And most of the people do not speak English. I was sitting in church and looked around and it hit me that I was the only American in the room. It was a pretty weird feeling. But unlike in the States, everyone was very friendly, so I still felt comfortable.

Then we went to Liz’s family’s house for lunch. Her father is really nice and funny and her mom is very sweet. She has a 29 year old brother who is a lawyer. People here live with their parents until they get married. He was telling me how I was lucky that I get to move out and live on my own because his parents would be really upset if he moved out. For lunch we had rice, tortillas, and a bean/meat mixture. It was really good. In Guatemala, breakfast and dinner are smaller and lunch is usually a pretty big meal. Beans, rice, and tortillas are in most meals, so it’s good thing I like them.

They tried to talk to me for a while in just Spanish…it didn’t go so well. That was discouraging. So Liz said I will have to go to the Spanish school to work on my Spanish. Most of the time I just sit there and don’t understand anything, so it will be good to go the school. I think it will help me a lot.

I still feel a little overwhelmed, but I love it here already.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, maybe I need to make you and Mike move back home!! I would love it!!!!!
    We love and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete