Saturday, January 9, 2010

Hola! Estoy en Guatemala!

Hi everyone! I arrived in Guatemala today around 12:30 PM (1:30 Michigan Time). My flights went well and to my surprise, I made it through the airport very quickly. I did not have to wait at all to go through customs. That was nice. Outside the airport there were these gates set up with TONS of people waiting behind them. It looked like something you would see outside a concert. Everyone was waving and yelling and holding up signs for people. It took me a while to find my boss/host Liz, but she finally spotted me and we headed off to her house.

Liz works for Strategy for Transformation and one of her many jobs is to supervise the interns. I rode home with her and her husband Fabián. They are both really friendly and hospitable. We came back to their place, had dinner, and then some of Liz’s family came over. They were very nice and a lot of fun.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed with not knowing very much Spanish. It’s really not as bad as I was anticipating though, so that is good. I think I will catch on pretty quickly.

The weather is beautiful here! It’s probably in the low 70’s and there is a nice breeze. It’s perfect. I am going to go walk around later and take some pictures.

Well, I will be staying with Liz and Fabián until Monday and then I will go to Pinula, where I will stay for the rest of my time here. I am excited to go there and get settled in. Anyways, I should get internet while I am there so I will post again soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you made it down there safely! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete